
I was shocked to learn how much crap a student can get by doing a search for a paper or project on the Internet. I guess I really never thought that people and organizations would take the time to misrepresent people and things like they do. In class the other day we did the search on Martin Luther King Jr. and that was the first time I seen this sort of thing to such a degree. I know who he is and what he stood for and admire what and how he tried to get equal rights for people in the United States. But if I was a young student doing research on him and didn't really know what was truth and what was fiction it would be hard to tell especially how they had the hate site listed as the third choice for the search. I clicked on that site and if you are not paying attention it looks like a legitimate site for source of information. But then you start to read on and you can see that it is a site for hate, racism, and slander. The problem is too many children believe that what is on the Internet is gospel and truth without a doubt. I know for a fact that this happens with the pop-up windows promising things for free and all you have to do is fill out a simple quiz or fill in your personal information. It is a scam. Young children are innocent to this sort of thing because in their mind they still are trusting and haven't experienced what the world is really like. It is terrible that this sort of thing exist but I guess free speech does have it's price and it is sad that children have to pay the cost.
No comments:
Post a Comment